1 cup raw mung beans
5 potatoes, cut into small squares
1/2 squash, cut into small squares
4 carrots, chopped
4 celery stalks, chopped
10 mushrooms, chopped
3 cups vegetable stock or bone broth
1 tbsp avocado oil
1 ½ tsp seasoning of your choice: Italian seasoning, or a mild curry blend
(I personally love using “Singapore Curry” from the Spice Trader in Toronto)
- Rinse mung beans, then cover with a generous amount of water, allowing enough room in the pot to allow for the beans to expand. Boil at medium-high heat for 15-20min. Pour beans through a strainer and then rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Place chopped potatoes and squash in pot, cover with water. Add ¼ tsp sea salt and boil over medium-high heat for 15-20min.
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat. Add chopped carrots, celery, and mushrooms, and season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, approx. 10 min.
- Add vegetable stock or bone broth, potatoes, squash, mung beans, and whatever seasoning you choose.
- Bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 30min.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can be creative with the root vegetables you use. Try using celeriac, turnips, parsnips, or rutabaga instead of potato or squash if you’re feeling adventurous!